[StBernard] houses deteriorate anyways

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat May 20 23:20:13 EDT 2006

Gaby:

Well put. Although Hurricane Betsy was not even remotely as bad as Katrina,
everyone accepted personal responsibility for their property and their
actions. People did not sit around waiting for government handouts or free
gutting. The entire family was involved in the rebuilding process and, to
the best of my memory, our neighborhood (St. Claude Heights) was back to
normal within six months.

As you pointed out, we have neighbors who have stated that they are not
returning, yet refuse to sign for a demolition. What happened to common
courtesy?

I reiterate my earlier opinion that we need to start placing "condemned"
stickers on these properties as soon as possible, and if no action is taken
within thirty days, demolish them.

John Richardson