[StBernard] Governor's statement on aid to local governments

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Jul 1 23:30:58 EDT 2006

Governor Announces State will Aid Local Governments

"While I appreciate President Bush's decision to grant an extension of the 100% reimbursement policy for debris removal in five of our most affected parishes, I am disappointed that this last minute decision was limited to debris removal and left so many of our parishes stranded. I am also disappointed that the federal commitment of an extension of the 100% reimbursement policy did not extend to all parishes affected by Katrina and Rita."

"I have been in touch with local leaders from the affected parishes and personally assured them that the State will come to their aid. As we move forward, we will evaluate parish needs on a case by case basis to meet the debris removal and emergency expenses subject to the 90-10 federal-local match."

"We are making great progress, and the momentum is on our side. We cannot afford to interrupt the important cleanup and recovery work underway in our communities. Working together, we will devote the resources to get the job done as quickly and seamlessly as possible."

-30-

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People www.louisianahelp.org