[StBernard] LA Citizens Surcharge

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Mar 7 23:13:58 EST 2007

Same goes for me this past January.
My homeowner's policy from AllState increased by $1500.00 for the year, with
$700.00 being 3 separate surcharges
for the LA Citizen's Fair Plan.
The good news (???) is that when you have your taxes done, bring a copy of
your policy showing the surcharges, and
you get your money back (how exactly this works I'm not sure - - whether
it's a refund or a deduction?)
The bad news is that you can expect your premiums to continue to increase
with every renewal for the next 5 years.
(this is a quote straight from my agent's mouth)
And, some of us will be lucky to continue to carry wind and hail in the
policy (not me of course)
I agree that it seems we are being PUSHED right out of the New Orleans area,
our cost of living has tripled, and
when insurance is as much as your mortgage payment, no one will be able to
afford to own a house anymore.
Of course, you can't put your house up for sale and move away, because
houses aren't selling any more either!
Why?? Because no one can afford the insurance. And so the merry-go-round
spins.
My prayers are for all of us who have already endured so much..........

Tracie Brown