[StBernard] EDITORIAL: Safer building against winds

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Mar 7 23:15:45 EST 2007

Periodically, the press office will publish editorials and columns that feature Governor Blanco's work in various areas.

The Advocate (online): <http://www.2theadvocate.com/opinion/6347037.html>
EDITORIAL: Safer building against winds
Published March 7, 2007

If there is one thing that Louisiana unquestionably has done right in the 18 months since the landfalls of hurricanes Katrina and Rita, it is the adoption of a statewide building code.

Building to the wind-resistance standards of a model international code is more expensive. There have been some calls for relaxing the code.

Among the problems with the transition to the mandated code: It is difficult for many smaller parishes to hire qualified building inspectors.

But as boosters of the building code have argued successfully, the long-term benefits - not only saving property but lives - are worth today's expense.

The Louisiana Recovery Authority allocated $14 million to assist local governments in complying with the demands of the new building code.

That is a reasonable step toward more hurricane-resistant construction across coastal Louisiana.

The building code's requirements are less burdensome in north Louisiana, but there are nevertheless costs associated with building to code. Still, high winds from hurricanes and tornadoes aren't unheard of in north Louisiana, either.

As Gov. Kathleen Blanco and Insurance Commissioner Jim Donelon have argued, a quality building code helps make insurance more available for new construction.

"In all my meetings with sectors of the insurance industry, I have been told again and again that second only to reliable levees, implementing and enforcing our statewide building codes is a must-do for affordable insurance," Blanco said.

She is right, and we hope the Legislature does not move to relax the new building codes.

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org