[StBernard] Sheriff's Race

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Sep 21 17:41:13 EDT 2007

Wendy: Jer, "I do believe that most criminals learn the art and
occupation of crime in jail or from the system. I was at court, applying for
a job, and I heard a kid tell the judge,
I can do 5 standing on my head...they judge said, good then you can do 2
more on your feet. I mean, jail doesn't have the same "punishment" factor
that it once had. I really find this sad because this means the youth have
no respect for the system, which means the system is now in danger. Hey, but
what do I know. --Wendy H"

Jer Responds: Yea, I agree with most and may I disagree on one factor. I've
worked the streets for many years and was brought up as a kid in a black
neighborhood prior to crime escalating in the city and thus, the "white
flight" began.

You mentioned that "criminals learn the art of occupation of crime in jail".
I'd say that they pick up the art (most have come from inner city youths) at
a very early age, either watching their parents who should not have been
entrusted with parenthood or from their peers. Kids became crafted at the
art by observing and doing (Here we might associate it as "Pavlov's Dog
theory of classical conditioning where if one manipulated the stimuli of
salivating, he'd come to drooling at the promise of more!).

Crime is lucrative to a youth. It pays more than one can achieve by cutting
grass, perhaps. It's the easy method of obtaining things that otherwise is
unobtainable (whether economically or physically approachable). The youth is
easily manipulated by this or others (peer pressure, thoughts of having vs.
the have nots, etc.).

The crime by most young lawbreakers has little consequence for those who
have developed such a skill (if I might use Dickens' Oliver Twists's "The
Artful Dodger" who honed his craft on the London Streets, in
pre-industrialized England.

The point I'm making is that Youths have da invincibility factor. They
believe they will live long, fun-filled, unpunished lives and they also
believe that they are so clever/ingenious that their actions escape
impunity.

I whole heartly agree with your example about the "punishment factor--I can
do 5 standing on my head". Over 50 years ago, I overheard an inner city
youth proclaim to another youth, "They can't do nuttin' to me, (referring to
da justice system), The most 'dey can do ta me is lock me up for a couple
years (and he was referring to an act of murder!).

Therefore, even THEN, there was little respect for the criminal justice
system and mocked the punishment with an attitude that would make any adult
shiver. I experienced this first-hand as I believed the youth was sincere in
his interpretation about how the justice system dishes out the penalties.
Hence, the judge frustrates the street cop who risks his life to uphold the
laws.

However, I believe that parents are the windows to the world. Children see
love, punishment and guidance at an early age and like Pavlov's dog gets
conditioning thought positive reinforcements (and rewards and punishments).
If the parents sway themselves, the role models are absent, the positive
strokes and punishment is missing, and the kid corrupts as well as the
parents who lack responsibility and accountability. Each generation follows
suit until the chain is broken by God's graces of goodness, consideration,
love and understanding. (which also includes understanding the law,
considering it a rule of goodness and love abiding by laws which are enacted
to keep people honest and accountable.

Btw, did I mention this kid was but 10 years of age?

--jer--