[StBernard] Election Results: Sadness and Apprehension

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Nov 5 11:36:06 EST 2008

Election Results: Sadness and Apprehension
By Shannon on Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Filed Under: Parenting
This morning, my insides are in a knot. I expected Obama to win. What I did
not expect was the immense sadness and apprehension I would feel as a
result. If I didn't have to take care of my kids and function as a mom, I
might be in my closet, curled up in the fetal position, rocking back and
forth.

Many bloggers and Tweeters have recorded their thoughts about this year's
Presidential election using words like historic, proud, hope, change, and
"The world is a better place today."

Sure we're disgusted with what's happened in our country, but give me a
break.

While I acknowledge the great significance of electing our first black
president and I give Obama credit for bringing out a record number of
voters, I don't see how his win is some climactic "dawn of a new day." When
people get disgusted with a situation, it's natural to look for change. And
it makes it easy for someone promising "change" to get the support of the
people. Even Jimmy Carter got elected promising change after Watergate and
the results were out of control inflation, 23% interest rates and the
humiliation of the hostages in Iran. Carter left America so disgusted even
Reagan promised a change. Then Clinton promised change after the Bush
recession.

But just how is Obama going to change our country? Let's examine:

* He's going to socialize health care. He'll shift the cost of health care
from the individual to the government. Yes, less personal responsibility!
Your choices for health care and insurance will be diminished as the
government slowly centralizes the industry in the name of "making things
better for everyone."

* He's going to raise taxes on everyone from Joe the Plumber to the
wealthier segment of the population, including the many small businesses
that create jobs and drive the economy. I vehemently disagree with Obama's
words: "When you spread the wealth around it's good for everyone." No,
scratch that. I DO agree with that statement, but I DON'T think it's the
government's job to spread the wealth. It's the citizens' prerogative. There
is nothing in the Constitution stating the government has the right to steal
my assets and give them to someone else. If the wealthier are taxed more,
they invest less, they donate less, they hire less workers and they feed the
economy less by spending less money. And businesses who are taxed more may
be driven out of business or out of the country.

* He's going to give the government more power over education by throwing
more money at the problem. And we all know how effective that is. While it's
unclear how Obama will move on education (he supports "experimenting" with
vouchers to see if the system could work), it's clear that the NEA is a huge
Obama supporter. This certainly does not bode well for those of us wanting
more privatization of schooling. And as far as I can tell, he does not
support homeschooling at all.
And yet it's like the friggin messiah has arrived.

Do people really want to be told what to think? Does no one see that we've
been inching closer to George Orwell's 1984? To V for Vendetta? Keep your
guard up, Americans. It's not far off.