[Woodcarver] "Price" virus

Byron abkinnaman at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 10 21:51:33 EDT 2004

At 07:17 AM 9/10/04, you wrote:

>our    provider  doen't even let us get  attachments  & I like that

I'm not sure paranoia is the answer either. Computer viruses are not the
worst thing that can happen. I dealt with a number of them. A good
antivirus program, and using it are probably the best defense. In this
case, I took one look, thought virus, had McAfee scan the attachment and
take care of the virus. By eliminating attachments all you've done is
eliminate attachments. Viruses can be embedded in the text of an e-mail
just as easily as in a attachment. I've seen viruses come from web sites,
embedded in e-mail, embedded in attachments, and through the back door via
live chat. I had a passed from one my machines to another via my LAN. In
all but one case either Norton or McAfee caught and dealt with it without
my intervention. In the one case I had to get an antidote from McAfee to
clean it out.

In my opinion, Spy ware is worse than viruses. Antispy ware software is
improving and soon, I hope, it will stop that stuff too.