[Woodcarver] How artists define success... Joe Dillett

Bill Judt bjudt at sasktel.net
Thu Aug 12 14:14:02 EDT 2004

Joe:

Such an interesting question!!
Do you stay awake at night formulating these questions for us??? <grin>

It is serendipitous that I read your email message after this mornings
devotions, here at the lake, because what I read in Luke 2:22-40 speaks
to your query in a rather profound way.
I recently carved a relief on Luke 2:29-32 [go to my website at:
http://wwwoodcarver.com/AssortedWebPages/myhome.html and look for the
link to the "Simeon" carving].

This carving was an attempt to capture the wonder and amazement of an
old man who discovers once again, in his old age, that God is a
promise-keeping God. He had been blessed to live long enough to see the
Messiah of God. Holding the babe in his hands he proceeded to proclaim
that his life was complete. Now he could die in peace.

Simeon defined his life by God's promises and faithful obedience to
God's will and purpose for him. Nothing else mattered. Simply to be of
service in God's kingdom and to see the Savior was all the purpose he
needed.

Like Susan Irish, my goals for carving have changed over the years. And
so they needed to change, for at first they were selfish, then shallow,
then short-sighted, then awakened to the possibilities, and in my later
years they have become more mature and focussed on what really matters.
As one gets older it seems one is able to reduce the meaning and
purpose of life to what is essential.

There was a  woman my wife and I knew in Grande Prairie that we both
admired. I asked her one day what it was that motivated her to do the
many remarkable things she did - community service, leadership, raising
a family, modeling integrity - and her answer came without a second
thought. She said "I am motivated by the desire to make a difference".
That stuck with me.

When I first started carving as a hobby, my intent was to "carve all of
scriptures". It seemed a good goal to pursue. That goal has been
transformed from an innocent and unattainable goal [after all, to carve
all of scriptures would mean having to also carving Leviticus and
Numbers <grin>] to a goal which is not only attainable, but most
desirable.

Remember that I am a preacher, so if this sounds a bit "preachy"
forgive me. But it is where I am at. This is what motivates me. It is a
choice I've made. It is the bedrock of what I do as a carver, as a
husband, as a father, as a Canadian, as a man.

As my awareness of God's activity and calling in my life have started
to come into focus, I wish now only to make a difference in the Kingdom
of God... to be a model citizen, a faithful ambassador and a true
witness to Jesus. All the carvings I do, and all the teaching I do have
this one goal and purpose in mind. If what I do pleases Jesus, it is
worthwhile. If my work serves Jesus it is worthwhile. If my work
witnesses to Jesus, it is worthwhile. In the end I desire to hear Him
utter the words "Well done, good and faithful servant." Anything done
for reasons other than to faithfully serve Jesus is worthless.

I was in Red Deer last week, teaching at the Summer carving workshop
held every year there. Christ White, one of Fox Chapel's authors and
the gifted carver, whose book "Parables" took our breath away when it
first came out... he was teaching at Red Deer too. I had an opportunity
to go for lunch with Chris and discovered that he shares the same
motivation and purpose in life that I do. Everything he does, he does
with Jesus in mind.
His is the mind of a servant who is honored to serve and it is a
wonderful thing to behold.

Part of my devotions this morning also took me from the biblical
account in Luke of Simeon to Paul's works in Phillipians 4, where Paul
defines his life in the words "To live is Christ, to dies is gain." I
desire that my walk with God and faithful service to Him are what
define everything else about my life.

Joe, I don't know if or how you will be able to use this at the SEA
conference.

And for the rest of the List community, I hope you receive what I've
said with gentle hearts.

Blessings and Peace (abound)

Bill
List Owner