[Woodcarver] How artists define success... Joe Dillett

Wynne Simmons wyndysim at graceba.net
Thu Aug 12 15:04:40 EDT 2004

Wow!  Well said, Bill!  I don't think I could possibly have worded it
any better, so. Me, too.

Wyndy

SE Alabama

wyndysim at graceba.net

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=6
<http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=6&uid=138062&> &uid=138062&

Simeon defined his life by God's promises and faithful obedience to
God's will and purpose for him. Nothing else mattered. Simply to be of
service in God's kingdom and to see the Savior was all the purpose he
needed.

Like Susan Irish, my goals for carving have changed over the years. And
so they needed to change, for at first they were selfish, then shallow,
then short-sighted, then awakened to the possibilities, and in my later
years they have become more mature and focussed on what really matters.
As one gets older it seems one is able to reduce the meaning and purpose
of life to what is essential.

There was a woman my wife and I knew in Grande Prairie that we both
admired. I asked her one day what it was that motivated her to do the
many remarkable things she did - community service, leadership, raising
a family, modeling integrity - and her answer came without a second
thought. She said "I am motivated by the desire to make a difference".
That stuck with me.

Remember that I am a preacher, so if this sounds a bit "preachy" forgive
me. But it is where I am at. This is what motivates me. It is a choice
I've made. It is the bedrock of what I do as a carver, as a husband, as
a father, as a Canadian, as a man.

As my awareness of God's activity and calling in my life have started to
come into focus, I wish now only to make a difference in the Kingdom of
God... to be a model citizen, a faithful ambassador and a true witness
to Jesus. All the carvings I do, and all the teaching I do have this one
goal and purpose in mind. If what I do pleases Jesus, it is worthwhile.
If my work serves Jesus it is worthwhile. If my work witnesses to Jesus,
it is worthwhile. In the end I desire to hear Him utter the words "Well
done, good and faithful servant." Anything done for reasons other than
to faithfully serve Jesus is worthless.

I was in Red Deer last week, teaching at the Summer carving workshop
held every year there. Christ White, one of Fox Chapel's authors and the
gifted carver, whose book "Parables" took our breath away when it first
came out... he was teaching at Red Deer too. I had an opportunity to go
for lunch with Chris and discovered that he shares the same motivation
and purpose in life that I do. Everything he does, he does with Jesus in
mind.
His is the mind of a servant who is honored to serve and it is a
wonderful thing to behold.

Part of my devotions this morning also took me from the biblical account
in Luke of Simeon to Paul's works in Phillipians 4, where Paul defines
his life in the words "To live is Christ, to dies is gain." I desire
that my walk with God and faithful service to Him are what define
everything else about my life.