[Woodcarver] Woodcarving As Art

Jean Athey atheyjm at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 13 12:13:52 EDT 2004

Hi gang,
Maura, and Joe (in an article he once wrote about
pricing one's carvings) both feel that it is important
to consider what we do as art. I agree, even if we
simply want to create the best work we are capable of
producing to honor whatever our personal goals are.

It is true that carved "art" pieces are priced much
higher than carved "craft" pieces. To play in that
arena, I'm told, one simply must show his/her work in
public at every opportunity and be williing to compete
with other carvers for a "slot" in the top-rated
juried shows as part of a solid marketing agenda. When
I see the wood sculpture in these shows--even if that
means exquisitely carved functional pieces, not just
figurative work--I'm left in awe of the beauty, skill,
and creativity displayed (pieces like Chris White's
work, which Bill mentioned, seem to fall into the
usually-mentioned fine art category).

Maybe you participate in regional or national juried
fine art shows that accept wood sculpture. Perhaps you
just have an annual show in your area that you visit
to ooooh and ahhhh each year. If you had to pick, say,
three to five top juried or invitational "fine art"
shows around the country that include wood sculpture,
what (and where) would they be? I'd love to find more
of them.
Thanks,
Jean