[Woodcarver] I need your help

Joe Dillett jdillett at thecarvingshop.com
Fri Aug 13 13:07:22 EDT 2004

Thank you Glenda, for your valued input.

Thanks everyone for the response to my question. I don't know exactly how
I'm going to use it yet for the SEA Conference planning. I'm going to start
by grouping the similarities and differences and try to go from there.

At this point I'm wondering what is more destructive, to have very high of
ideals of success or very low ideals of success. Or even if an idea of
success can be destructive? I'm thinking yes because someone can be so
driven to success with such high ideals of success that it becomes very
unhealthy for their spiritual life as well as their relationships with
others. There are lots of signs that tell us when we've crossed the line but
how can we know that when we are setting our goals of success? Somehow I
thing we can't be too conservative or too aggressive in setting our goals of
success. I think we have to quantify our success in stages and make it
realistic attainable goals. Many of these young artists are so focused on
success that their life quickly comes unbalanced. They quickly realize their
idea of success is not coming as fast as they want or will never come and
they get discouraged, their relationships fall apart, their bright shooting
star quickly burns out and the world looses a talented artist. I know much
of the answer is in our motovations, as Bill shared his insights on motives,
to help attain a strong drive toward success as will as a good balance in
life. How to quantify that concept?

Is it perhaps that I fight some of the same tendencies in my life? Lowering
expectations and ideas of success sometimes can be a healthy thing to
maintain a balance in ones life. The Olympics beginning today make me think
of how many struggled to make it and fell short having to redefine their
idea of success.

Joe Dillett
The Carving Shop
645 E. LaSalle St. Suite 3