[Woodcarver] I need your help

Linehan718 at aol.com Linehan718 at aol.com
Thu Aug 12 22:39:58 EDT 2004

Hi Joe,  I do appreciate your questions that come along now and  then.  You
actually make me stop and think for a while.

When I first started carving, I was driven, probably addicted.  I was
successful when i finished the carving i was working on.   I am an  amazing
procrastinator in other parts of my life.  I was successful if it  came out resembling
what i was trying to carve.  I was successful if my  finishing techniques
didn't ruin my carving.  It didn't matter what anyone  thought about the finished
carving, I was very proud of myself.  After  completing my first few projects
and realizing that i was falling in  love with carving, I set about on a five
year plan for myself.  I told  myself that the next five years would be
learning years.  I didn't set out  to create any masterpieces or to make a million
dollars, but simply to  learn.  And to practice!
I began buying books and gleaning every last piece of info i could find on
the web.  I am right about at the 2 year mark now and i have to say my plan
has been very successful.  In 2 years I have learned how to buy good  quality
tools, and how to sharpen and maintain those tools.  I have learned  the names
and functions of most carving tools.  And have amassed a decent  intermediate
selection of tools.  I have learned all about safety and how  having med. ins.
is an absolute( the day I drove a chisel right through the  flesh of my hand).
 I have learned to pay attention and be more  careful.  I have learned about
different wood properties and have  endevoured to try my hand working with any
and all different types of  woods.  I have learned in the round, relief,power
and architectural carving  techniques. The most important thing I have
learned was that I only have to  please myself and as i am very demanding of my
talents,  I could not help,  but to improve.  I have learned that if you ask for
help, it is out  there.  I have taken classes and attended a roundup and found
a carving  club within driving distance.

        Along the way, the  strangest thing happened.  People started wanting
to pay me.   Commission carving opened up a whole new world.  I actually had
to  communicate other peoples ideas with my carving.  i had to learn to
listen,  so that i could make what they wanted, not what I thought they wanted.  I
learned about deadlines and pricing and about dealing with pain in the  butts.
 I can proudly say that i have met every deadline(even if I finished  it 5
minutes before the customer came to get it).   Success at this  point in my five
year journey is to master a new technique and create original  carvings.
Getting to know other carvers who are better than me so that  they can push me
along just by inspiring me and networking, learning where other  carvers are
successful, and how people make money in this artform.  I have  especially
learned to consider woodcarving an art, not a craft.  The  difference in the pricing
is amazing.  LOL   I have also learned  not to underestimate my talents or
the confidence I have in those  talents.

        Looking at the future, when  my five year learning plan is up,  I
will consider myself successful if I  am partially supporting myself thru
something carving related,  If I am  respected by those artists i hold in awe now,
If I am completing carvings  faster than i do now.  If I gain the confidence to
chip away rather than  whittle things down.  If I have already or am about to
teach a  class.  If I am known as a "woodcarver" both in the carving
community and  in my hometown.  If I have gotten much better at finishing and matching
a  finish to a carving. That is where I want to be in 3 years.  All in all my
 successes have been many and my failures have been few.  And most of all,
its been fun.  I look forward to the things to come.

Maura Carvin'  in NYC
www.picturetrail.com\whiteknight718