[Woodcarver] Fwd: Announcement of Whillock Woodcarving Festival and class schedule... with permission

Bill Judt bjudt at sasktel.net
Sun Aug 15 13:14:36 EDT 2004

From: Joe Dillett <jdillett at thecarvingshop.com>
Date: August 15, 2004 7:38:21 AM GMT-06:00
To: Bill Judt <bjudt at sasktel.net>
Subject: Announcement of Whillock Woodcarving Festival and class
schedule.

Hi Bill,

Could you please post this to your List?

Thanks,

Joe

******************

I have been getting questions about the Whillock Woodcarving Festival,
especially about the classes and how to register for the classes.

The Whillock Woodcarving Festival (CARV-FEST '04) is at the Ice Arena,
Rice
County Fairgrounds in Faribault MN.. The Whillocks have rented out this
Ice
Arena with the intention of making this Woodcarving Festival an annual
event. This is the first of hopefully many successful Whillock
Woodcarving
Festivals. This one is very special because it celebrated Ivan's 30
years in
the woodcarving business.

Here is some information Marnie sent me about the classes and the
Whillock
Woodcarving Festival

********** This is what Marnie sent me including the class schedule.
********

Thank you for requesting information about classes for our Whillock
Woodcarving Festival! The festival will be held Saturday & Sunday,
August 21
& 22 from 9:00am to 6:00pm both days. There will be a music jam on
Saturday
evening after the classes - bring your instruments and join in! Food
will be
available both days.

The location is the Faribault Ice Arena at the Rice County
Fairgrounds/Alexander Park. Directions: I-35 to exit 59. Go south on
Hwy 21.
Take a left (East) on Hwy 3. Take a right turn into the park.

The classes are $5.00 per person payable ahead of time to Whillock
Woodcarving. Call 507-333-4446 to register. If there are any supplies
needed
to purchase, please pay the instructor directly during the class. If
you don
't have the required tools for the class - we have loaner sets
available for
your use. The details for each class are listed below.

SATURDAY-SEMINAR ROOM 1

10:00-12:00 ~ Marv Kaisersatt ~ Caricature Features

Practice stick - $3.00

Bring: sharp knife, palm tools

12:15-2:15 ~ TBA

(tentative - Scandinavian figure - flat plane style)

2:30-3:30 ~ Chris Whillock ~ Beginner Carving

Overview of how to use a knife, palm tools and full-sized tools.

Wood - $3.00

Tools will be supplied for class

3:45 - 5:45 ~ Sandie Roosa ~ Sweet Potato Carving

Carve a face on a sweet potato

Potato - $1.00

Bring: sharp knife

SATURDAY-SEMINAR ROOM 2

10:00-1:00 ~ Joe Dillett ~ Relief Carving Techniques

Pattern & wood - $5.00

Tools to bring:

       45 degree V-tool-1/4"

       Veiner #11 by 1/8"

       Gouge #5 by 5/8"

       Gouge #3 by 1"

       Gouge # 3 by 3/8"

       mallet/pencil

       2 clamps

1:30-5:30 ~ Sally & David Nye ~ Fan Bird Carving

Blank - $5.00

Flexcut Pelican knife

Flexcut 3" drawknife

Protective glove

Tools will be supplied if you don't have them.

SUNDAY-SEMINAR ROOM 1

10:00-12:00 ~ Gen Jansen ~ Cottonwood Bark Turtle

Intermediate & advanced carvers only

Blank - $3.00

Bring: sharp knife, V-Tool, small gouge.

12:15-2:15 ~ Everett Ellenwood ~ Tool Sharpening

Demonstration, lecture and hands-on.

Bring a knife to sharpen.

Sharpening supplies included.

2:30-3:30 ~ Chris Whillock ~ Beginner Carving

Overview of how to use a knife, palm tools and full-sized tools.

Wood - $3.00

Tools will be supplied for class

3:45-5:45 ~ Walt Grittner ~ Chip Carving

Blank, blade and patterns - $4.00

Bring: X-Acto handle #2, compass, ruler, mechanical pencil.

SUNDAY-SEMINAR ROOM 2

10:00-1:00 ~ Ol' Don Burgdorf ~ Caricature Mouse in a Glass

Roughout - $15.00

Bring: basic hand tools

1:30-5:30 ~ Fred & Elaine Stenman ~ Woodburning & Painting

Wood - $4.00 - $8.00

Bring: good woodburner (Colwood/ Detail Master style)

Instructors will have some burners to loan.

SUNDAY-SEMINAR ROOM 3

1:30-5:30 ~ Chris Howard ~ Eyes, Nose & Mouth

Roughout - $30.00 - $50.00

Bring: knife, palm tools, micro tools.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Have a great day!

Marnie Whillock

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Carving Magazine Editor

http://www.carvingmagazine.com

Marnie Whillock Associates

http://www.marniewhillock.com

*************

For class registration please call (507-333-4446)

There will be free admission

Door prizes

Artist Displays

Carving Demos

Mini-classes

Tool, Bood & Wood Sales

Marv Kaisersatt & Ivan Whillock will have special exhibits.

*************

Many of the motels in the area are giving special rates for this Willock
Woodcarving Festival, as they do for all of Ivan's classes. I'm staying
at
the Select Inn (507-334-2051) just minutes from Ivan's studio and the
Fair
Grounds Ice Arena.

**********

The auction for Marnie will be happening on Ebay and ending during the
Festival. You may bid from home or computers will be provided at the
Festival for bidding. As soon as I learn the Ebay URL's I will post
them for
you.

Thanks.

Joe Dillett