[Woodcarver] Woodcarving As Art

Mike Bloomquist m.bloomquist at verizon.net
Wed Aug 18 10:17:57 EDT 2004

Jean,
Yvonne and I have been doing some "scouting" lately and were very impressed
with Sugarloaf Craft Show, Art Fair, Art Festival.  They organize several,
and the one we saw was in Gaithersburg, Maryland.  Even the items we had
seen elsewhere seemed to have a extra something to them that set them apart.

Another that impressed us was Crafts at Rhinebeck(NY) at the Dutchess County
Fairgrounds.  We called it fine arts with a capital "F".   It's not always a
reliable indicator, but most of the items were out of our financial range
;-).  The woodcarvers/sculptors there were very impressive.

I would strongly echo Joe's advice, and pick up a couple different crafter's
guides to shows.  Usually they're at A.C. Moore or Michaels.  That's how we
found ours.  There have been a couple shows that grossly inflated their
attendence, both crafters and buyers(Saratoga Spa, NY show sponsered by the
ARC), but they have been in the minority.

Keep on Carvin'
-Mike B.->