[Woodcarver] (no subject)

Doris Briggs jbriggs at telusplanet.net
Wed Aug 18 23:55:09 EDT 2004

Hi Mary Jo,

> Hi Folks,this is Mary Jo again.I'm trying to do a relief carving in
> Basswood.I need to know how to smooth off the little Fuzzy places.I've
> tried using a sanding stick but some of the places are to small to get
> in.I've also been reading that alot of carvers use a trim routers to
> rough out the background on the beginnig of the pattern.Does anyone
> think thats a good idea and if so where could  I get a book that would
> give me the information.

Our list owner, Bill Judt, has an excellent book out called "Relief
Carving" which is available from Fox Chapel Publishing Co. or you might
try borrowing it from your nearest library.  In it he discusses and
explains how to remove the background material before the actual
carving begins. Mr. Judt also describes texturing the background and
how to make your own tools to do the texturing.  It contains a lot more
information on relief carving as well as several patterns and many
excellent photographs.

Doris Briggs