[Woodcarver] Re: Cane tips-Not chair tips or metal tips, then what?

OLD JOE jb04404 at alltel.net
Sat Aug 21 17:09:55 EDT 2004

Congratulations to Cynda for successfully developing her own nice tip, that
makes carving even more fun and gratifying..

Tom, Thank you for asking what I use.

They are the gray rubber cane/crutch tips pictured at:

http://www.oldjoe.org/CANES.html

The source for these is a medical supplier at:
http://www.edmond-wheelchair.com/cane_tips.htm

Someone mentioned Wal-Mart and local drug stores as sources for tips, and
they are correct If you only want one or two. The medical supplier seems to
have a little better pricing since I order 3 dozen at a time.

The reason for entering this thread that is not to be critical of anyone or
their techniques. This type information may be difficult for beginner
carvers to dig out, especially in more rural type areas. They also may not
be fully aware of liability problems from using non-standard supplies or may
not fully examine all the possibilities.

I remember seeing a web site to get the ice clamp on devices, and recently
saw one on a cane.  It looks like a real winner. I'd like to have one as I
just stay in by the fire if it is icy and slick out anymore. Don't remember
where they can be purchased.  Old Joe

 Old Joe (Joe Brott), Plattsmouth, NE USA
www.oldjoe.org
for Len Dillon basswood roughouts and basswood turnings, click:
www.diamondd.org