[Woodcarver] Need help in developing caricature patterns

Joe Dillett jdillett at thecarvingshop.com
Wed Aug 25 13:39:38 EDT 2004

Hi Kevin,

One method that is helpful for me is to work the figures in clay first. Clay
is a very helpful tool in helping visualize the pose, alignment and shape of
the features. The individual features, like the hands and face can be
studied in clay separately. Making the clay the same size as the woodcarving
will allow you to take the measurements directly off the clay.

In my Ask Joe column, Carving Magazine issue 4, I show examples of making
pattern from 3-dimensional objects, including drawing, pantograph, digital
camera, pointing machines, copy machines, CAD and other software like Poser.
There might be some helpful hints for you there.