[Woodcarver] Plastina Clay

Mike Bloomquist m.bloomquist at verizon.net
Thu Aug 26 00:54:34 EDT 2004

Bob,

I use a wire-n-roller cheese cutter to take of thin slabs of Plastelina, then place them under a 60watt desk lamp.  Softens them up real fine, and makes it really easy to work.  I find if you want detail though you build up the area with more than you need, let it cool and then carve it away to your final shape and detail it with clay tools (wire hoops, metal scorps, wooden blades, etc).

If you use a wire armature (like a wire skeleton) and have large areas like, say, the chest and belly area of a horse, form balls of crushed tin foil around the armature in those areas as filler and cover them with the plastelina.  This uses less plastelina and the less dense tin foil helps avoid support problems and sagging.

It's wonderful stuff, and reuseable... just little "different" from clay.  Hope this helps.

-Mike B.->