[Woodcarver] Sharpening Warren Blades

dick carter rhc511 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 28 12:27:48 EDT 2004

>From: "Bob Campanaro" <re2camp at aol.com>

Does anyone have any experience sharpening Warren blades?

Any suggestions on sharpening theses babies or thoughts about the
product in general would be much appreciated.

Hi Bob,

"I feel your pain." When I first started carving I didn't know which shape
blade I would
like & didn't want to buy the relatively expensive knives just to see if I
liked them. I
bought a Warren Kit that included a handle & an assortment of blades. When I
found
a shape that I liked, I just bought another blade & made my own handle. I
like Warren
blades. (not as much as FlexCut, but cheaper)

Sharpening was another story. I've tried stones, with no success... I
couldn't get the
same bevel on each side & the end result was not sharp, nor satisfactory.
The power
sharpening systems were, I thought, kinda pricey and again I didn't know if
I would
like them or if they would give me consistant, sharp edges. I finally
settled on the
'Paper' wheels. I had a double-end grinder & modified it as shown in Old
Joe's
http://www.oldjoe.org/ToolSharpening.html . The paper wheel kit was around
$26, if I remember. and comes with instructions. (I think list-member 'Big
Dog'
carries them). I supplemented this with a buffing wheel that I charge with
Aluminum Oxide. I get consistant, sharp edges (I use a lot of Band-Aids) and
am happy with it.
Some of my Warren blades are over 10 years old & still give me what I want.

ps... you'll find out that there is only one 'correct' way to sharpen tools,
and everyone uses it.
       lotsa controversary on sharpening.

Dick Carter
rhc511 at hotmail.com