[Woodcarver] Sharpening Warren Blades

OLD JOE jb04404 at alltel.net
Sat Aug 28 13:12:43 EDT 2004

Dear "Frustrated": (I've always wanted to start an email that way.)

It sounds like your Warren blade cutting edge may be rounding over during
sharpening which can make them more dull than the back side of grandma's
paring knife

Warren blades are made of very good steel. They hold an edge well. And, are
relatively cheap. I have some that have been in use 20 years or so.

Out of the package, Warren blades have a fairly steep bevel that can be
difficult for some folks to sharpen.

The factory bevel can be widened so it is not so steep, then they sharpen
well. I have done this many times on a flat belt slow speed sander using 80
grit belts. (Try to make the bevel full blade width.)

 80 grit cuts the steel fast and is less apt to burn the steel. Yes, it
leaves scratch marks on the steel which does not bother me or the steel as
they are easily buffed smooth.

I have used many Warren Blades for creating my own handle pattern knives.
(I now prefer Ron Wells knives
however.)  Old Joe

Old Joe (Joe Brott), Plattsmouth, NE USA
www.oldjoe.org
for Len Dillon basswood roughouts and basswood turnings, click:
www.diamondd.org