[Woodcarver] Re: Detail painting techniques

TWWOODWORK at aol.com TWWOODWORK at aol.com
Sat Aug 28 22:03:48 EDT 2004

Hello and a bit of help please. See the painting detail technique  indicated
below. I am still having a bit of difficulty understanding exactly  what kind
of paint pen or pencil he is using. I have used painting pens in doing  some
minature giraffes, but didn't try to feather or fade from one color to the
other with them.
    My friend is not able to tell me any more  than shown below.
    "Would like to say I understand it. Maybe. Does he  put the wax on where
he wants the details and then goes over that with his  brushes to do the
details after using the wax paint pencil?"
    'To the best of my  knowledge he briefly showed his approach. He, for
example, drew a line to  conform the outline at the end of a duck feather, like
an arch. This was  done with a brown wax base paint pencil, this line had sharp
edges.  Then he took a sable fine brush wetted it, with water, then gently
brushed over  the arched line that had a sharp edge to it and blened out the
sharp edge so  that the color had a shadow cast to it , with out any sharp edges
to the  original arched line. Since I found the lost letter I  am adding some
additional info, for what ever it is worth. With the wet sable  brush you then
can blend the wax paint pencil as a bckground that will enable  you to high
light the darker color. Blending the lighter color with the darker  color so
there is no  deffinate line. Do I make myself  clear?'
     I haven't seen a wax  based paint pencil but have seen acrylic paint
pens. Will look in Michael's  the next time I am down that way.
    Any idea about this??
    Tom
    Thomas W. Horton
    Glen Mills, PA