[Woodcarver] Re: Diamond Paste

TWWOODWORK at aol.com TWWOODWORK at aol.com
Sun Aug 29 18:33:29 EDT 2004

In a message dated 8/29/2004 12:01:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
woodcarver-request at six.pairlist.net writes:

A  sharpening question for the group.  Has anyone used diamond paste in  the
sharpening process?  Is it even recommended?  What  "micron" (size) is best?
Even more basic...how is it used?  What  are some of the other polishing
compounds available?  I normally  use waterstones (4000 & 8000) and a leather
stop, and have been told  polishing compounds such as diamond paste would add
to the sharpness of  my gouges and knives.  Any comments?

I have four different grits of diamond paste. There was an article in
FineWoodworking within the past year or so re. this whole question. It was
recommended that you use only one grit per honing block (maple  recommended). If you
are looking for something to do, it is probably  o.k. but I found it so time
consuming that I gave it up. I didn't  find enough difference when I  honed each
blade on four different  honing blocks with finer and finer grits of diamond
paste.
 I find that my carving tools are very sharp doing them than my usual  way.
    I polish my blades on an 8,000 grit water stone and  then hone with
Everett Ellenwood's White Gold honing compound on wood  or the cardboard on a
tablet. I really like the tablet backs. I generally  use  poplar or bass wood for
honing on wood. Have  leather  hones, but damn it, I find my edges rolled so
often and see so manly  rolled edges in my Tuesaday carving group that I have r
ather got off the  leather strop kick.
    Hope this helps.