[Woodcarver] Teaching Children to Carve?

Alex Bisso albisso at bresnan.net
Fri Dec 10 12:13:22 EST 2004

I have a grandson that has a love of knives, swords, battle axes, etc. and
was always wanting me to make them for him.  Instead, (he was about 7) I got
him involved by just cutting out the basic shapes in clear 3/4" pine and
making the major stop cuts on the hilt and handles and getting him to do the
shaping with a good, sharp pocket knife.  I first made him draw all of the
centerlines and shaded the areas between them that he had to carve off.  At
first what he did was really rough but he learned how to watch the grain and
got improved quickly.  Because of his interest I also let him clean up some
diamond willow sticks (lots of tricky grain) and he does pretty good with
them.  When we started he was really choppy and I had LOTS of clean-up to do
for him.  Now (just made 11) he is much more careful and does a better job.
He really likes it when he gets to the point where I say it is OK to use the
sander or the finish work.  I have a good palm sander mounted facing up so
all he has to do is rub his piece over it for final smoothing and shaping.
If I let him, I think he would do the whole thing on the sander because he
likes the way in makes it smooth.  At one time he really bugged me to let
him use a V-tool to put grooves in an handle (I would use it to put rings
around the handles or a u-tool to put blood grooves in the blades for him).
I relented and emphasized the need for caution and safety.  After a few
minutes I noticed that he had left the room and did not come back.  Turns
out he and cut himself - didn't want me to know so he slipped off to grandma
without a word.  He had cut himself before with the knife but this was a bit
worse yet still not a major injury.  Perhaps we were lucking but I also feel
that a good focus on safety has a lot to do with preventing major cuts and
that having faith and accepting some risk is important to learning.  He also
did the 5-minute owl and did a very good job on it although I again helped
with the major stop cuts because he lacks the strength to do a good job on
them and trying to use that much force is where the greater danger lies.  He
also especially enjoyed using my wood burner to burn in some details
(feathers, feet, etc.).  I should probably note that I did not require him
to where a carving glove but when we started I did use vetwrap on the thumb
and a couple of fingers on his holding hand.  After a while I left the
decision whether or not to use it to him.
At one point he wanted to try to carve one of his favorite Pokemon action
figures so I cleared of the surface of a piece of cottonwood bark and we
drew it on so he could give it a try.  Since I knew that he knew from
experience the dangers of not being careful, I let him use a v-tool and a
couple of gouges for the job.  Although I felt that what he did was not too
bad for a first shot at something like that, he was not pleased with it and
abandoned the project.  He still occasionally does a knife or sword and
likes to whittle points on sticks when the opportunity arise but otherwise
shows no interest in carving anything more difficult.  Maybe he will try
more later in his life and maybe not.  I think a child should get the chance
to try if they show interest, either with soap and popsicle sticks or a
knife if they are older.  Start simple and let them determine how far they
are willing to go - maybe nowhere, maybe Michaelangelo.
ALEX