[Woodcarver] Teaching Children to Carve?

Marcia Berkall whitwood at pivot.net
Fri Dec 10 09:18:37 EST 2004

Hi, Susan,

I have taught children to carve, but not with knives.  I tend to probably
be a little more cautious that I have to be, but  I would rather err in
that direction.  Most of my childrens' classes have had a mininum age of
10, but like you said, there are some children who are able to handle the
tools well a little younger.  I have 5 sets of 5 chisels and gouges for
classes.  They're Euro style tools, so are a little easier for kids to
handle. In a pinch, depending on the design, a beginner could most likely
get by with fewer tools.  The safest way to carve is with the work secured
to a bench, and using gouges so that hands and fingers are behind the
blade.  I am, obviously, concerned with liability issues, but even more
important, I would not want to see a child injured....or turned off to carving.

Just my humble opinion!

Happy Holidays,

Marcia (aka Mush)
South China, Maine

Visit Marcia's  Whittlins 'n Wood  web site at:
http://www.pivot.net/~whitwood
http://community.webshots.com/user/cahvah