[Woodcarver]wood burned portrait tips-sylda

RJA rja9 at usfamily.net
Thu Dec 16 20:28:56 EST 2004

If you have a light rotary tool (Dremel, Handi-Tool or something
similar) you can use the 3-M type sanding pads on a mandrel to use to
lighten up the burned area as well as use on painted surface.  Cut the
pad in squares and put on the mandrel and after a few uses, the pad will
round out so cutting the corners is not necessary.  Donot use the green
pads because they seem to leave a slight green coloring.  The brown that
BD has 3-M scott brite pads on P. 70 of Cat. #1102 is an industrial pad
which can be used to smooth the wood and can remove more than intended
if not watched carefully.
I use pop rivets for the mandrel and make up several at a time so when
one wears out, I just replace with another setup instead of messing with
a mandrel.  I currently have several of the white, gray and brown in a
bag with a rotary tool that I picked up at Menards.  I doubled the price
of the unit when a put a Dremel variable chuck on so that I didnot need
to have collets for various sized shafts.
To make the unit, I use a block with a small metal plate on the end with
a hole drilled to receive the rivet shaft.  Place the pad onto the tip
of the rivet and then place the washer on top of the pad.  Hold the
washer down tight with a needle nose pliers or something similar.  Tap
the rivet tip with a small hammer until the washer is held tight.  Using
aluminum rivets seem to work fairly well and easy to work with.

Dick Allen

--- http://USFamily.Net/dialup.html - $8.25/mo! -- http://www.usfamily.net/dsl.html - $19.99/mo! ---