[game_preservation] Game preservation videos?

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Mon Aug 6 13:38:27 EDT 2007

Jim,

I didn't know why the restrictions were there (I didn't check) but still
a shame its just DVD standards - I can see why for normal media (which
commonly is 4:3 or 16:9) but games are much more varied, certainly many
arcade games, and almost all new games are widescreen. Would be
something worth looking at (along with Henry's point on metadata).

And while you might say it is barely moving (yeah, compared to a light
gun or DDR game, most things are standing still) but seeing how someone
plays - the ergonomics and interfacing between the player and the game
controller (and how to win, and how to play - even if it is twitch
based, or shallow button bashing) would be important to record, simply
because no console commonly is the same, and several old games have
special controllers which can't be easily mimicked :)

Thanks for the information, will be useful regarding why formats are
like that.

Andrew