[game_preservation] Game preservation videos?

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Mon Aug 6 13:50:06 EDT 2007

Andrew Armstrong wrote:

> I didn't know why the restrictions were there (I didn't check) but still

> a shame its just DVD standards - I can see why for normal media (which

> commonly is 4:3 or 16:9) but games are much more varied, certainly many

> arcade games, and almost all new games are widescreen. Would be

> something worth looking at (along with Henry's point on metadata).

The best way to adhere to both standards is to, maybe, record the exact
resolution of the game in the metadata, and then maybe put the gamefield
in the upper left corner of the MPEG-2. That way everybody's happy.

> Thanks for the information, will be useful regarding why formats are

> like that.

I'd like to mention that going with a format where resolution is
arbitrary isn't always the better choice. For example, most popular
implementations of MPEG-4 today don't *properly* support either
interlaced video, or framerates over 30fps. This makes it impossible to
archive the gameplay of a game that runs at the full 50/60Hz framerate
of PAL/NTSC.

Disclaimer: This most likely will change in the next 5-10 years as
computing power increases, and HD resolutions become more popular
(because > 30fps is required to properly view 720p television). But for
today, right now, I wouldn't recommend it.
--
Jim Leonard (trixter at oldskool.org) http://www.oldskool.org/
Help our electronic games project: http://www.mobygames.com/