[game_preservation] Game preservation videos?

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Mon Aug 6 13:59:51 EDT 2007

Jim Leonard wrote:

> I'd like to mention that going with a format where resolution is

> arbitrary isn't always the better choice. For example, most popular

> implementations of MPEG-4 today don't *properly* support either

> interlaced video, or framerates over 30fps. This makes it impossible

> to archive the gameplay of a game that runs at the full 50/60Hz

> framerate of PAL/NTSC.

> Disclaimer: This most likely will change in the next 5-10 years as

> computing power increases, and HD resolutions become more popular

> (because > 30fps is required to properly view 720p television). But

> for today, right now, I wouldn't recommend it.

Of course, this is important, however I am more meaning the original
source of a game. Could you truly view Oblivion (in 50 years or
somesuch) on some (relatively) poor MPEG-2 quality, 4:3 screen, and
capture what the graphical detail at the time (for comparison with other
titles at the time).

Older games are easier - I don't see any problems with arcade or
emulated games. Even ones off basic TV's of the last generation of
consoles is fine. Its this future point where widescreen, and high
graphical fidelity, simply can't be captured in MPEG-2 format. Even some
older games are like this on the PC, where screen size bounced well past
TV pixel size (and now still does outpace it).

However, I see the point entirely! don't get me wrong. One thing is that
while it would be a good idea to standardise on a format and aspect
ratio, games do not come in the same aspect ratio's as MPEG-2 files do
now. It might be worth in the future storing an MPEG-2 video, plus the
original source file (at whatever resolution, format, and whatnot) if
possible. People would have their MPEG file (likely with letterboxing,
or whatever is scaled down) but also be able to view the full file.

I actually must check how MPEG-2 works with the HD-DV screen sizes and
FPS's, I haven't had my hand on a HD camera much yet. DV wise, MPEG-2 is
great though, I must admit :)

Might have to wait of course, your points on interlaced video at 50/60
FPS is a fair one, the formats are poorly standardised sadly, and most
are entirely propriety (WMV etc.) if not MPEG based.

Andrew