[game_preservation] Game preservation videos?

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Mon Aug 6 14:30:33 EDT 2007

Andrew Armstrong wrote:

> Of course, this is important, however I am more meaning the original

> source of a game. Could you truly view Oblivion (in 50 years or

> somesuch) on some (relatively) poor MPEG-2 quality, 4:3 screen, and

> capture what the graphical detail at the time (for comparison with other

> titles at the time).

Actually, yes, since Oblivion on consoles supports 640x480 :-) But your
point is taken. You'll be happy to know that MPEG-2 goes higher than
720x480; MPEG-2 Transport Streams are what are used for current HDTV,
and they go as high as 1080i.

> Its this future point where widescreen, and high

> graphical fidelity, simply can't be captured in MPEG-2 format.

They already are; see above. Google "HDTV MPEG-2" for some useful hits.
--
Jim Leonard (trixter at oldskool.org) http://www.oldskool.org/
Help our electronic games project: http://www.mobygames.com/