[game_preservation] Library of Congress funds project for game preservation

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 6 18:05:16 EDT 2007

Also, Matt Kirschenbaum from Maryland tells me he just joined. Best, Henry

At 02:40 PM 8/6/2007, Andrew Armstrong wrote:

>Thanks for Delurking Jerome, worth knowing all that information.

>It'll be interested in seeing what the efforts produce, it'd be

>great if you could keep us posted (I am sure a website will appear

>somewhere :) ).

>Second Life is an interesting choice, and I'll agree its got its own

>problems, therefore, worth looking at, so I'd especially think it

>worth seeing what comes from that part.

>Jerome McDonough wrote:

>>On the UK side, it might be worth a quick note to Adam Farquhar at

>>the British Library about longer-term

>>plans for the PLANETS project. I know they are very much focusing

>>on handling more traditional library

>>content at the moment, but the BL team is a smart bunch and I

>>suspect they are already worried

>>about executable content and what its preservation might mean for them.

>Thanks a lot for information on this

><http://www.planets-project.eu/>PLANETs project (since I am new to

>the game, as it were) - I will see if I can contact Adam, from a

>quick google search <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/0/95/445>this page

>was about the best I could find, so I'll give it a shot. It'll be

>interesting to know what the British Library might be doing since I

>might be able to practically help. They seem to have their heads

>screwed on regarding digital media and DRM, copyrights as best I can

>remember too.

>Andrew

Henry Lowood, Ph.D.
Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections
Curator for Germanic Collections; Film & Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries
Stanford CA 94305-6004
650-723-4602; lowood at stanford.edu; http://www.stanford.edu/~lowood