[game_preservation] The Library of Congress project, upcoming plans

Andreas Lange lange at digitalgamearchive.org
Fri Sep 14 10:52:19 EDT 2007

Hello Henry and All,
I was away from the list for the summer because we were busy with two
exhibitions. Meanwhile I have worked of the threats and it's great to
see the vital discussion going and and that the LC is funding the
"Preserving Virtual Worlds" project. Congratulation. Of course we are
open for every kind of cooperation, which will make sense. In the moment
we are researching how to copy our original games and convert them into
emulator readably images. Of course the copy protection mechanisms are
one of the most difficult technical issues to solve, whereas we have
made pretty nice progress especially for C64 Games, which offer some of
the most difficult copy protections.
We were also colaborating with an EU project
(http://www.planets-project.eu/). Our archive was choosen for a testbed
with the aim to make copys of games available in packets for virtualized
environments, what could become an interesting way of accessing digital
repositories.

Andreas

Andreas Lange
www.computerspielemuseum.de