[game_preservation] KEEP project and DiGRA2009

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Mon Feb 9 14:19:33 EST 2009

Just to mention, GDC is very developer orientated. It's not academic in
most respects, and as I've noted, a percentage nearing 0 is based on
history and preservation (this year it'll likely only be our roundtable,
give or take maybe an unannounced panel or presentation by some older
figure in history like last year).

There isn't such thing as covering travel costs from anyone I'm afraid

:( You'll have to get a ticket and cover your own costs, sadly.

Certainly there is no IGDA money (I'm funding my own travel, hotel, and
costs over there :) ). Speakers get a pass to enter free, but no other
costs considered.

There's no absolute* need* to come - it would be nice, but it is short
notice (the late sign up date is VERY soon!) and may be money wasted if
you can't get much out of the event. I think Henry was more asking if
anyone was already planning on going or was planning now the project was
announced :)

I'd love to see someone there representing it, but balance the money
it'd cost if you haven't considered it yet.

Andrew

Andreas Lange wrote:

> Dear Henry,

> indeed this a good idea. The schedule is a little bit tight but if it

> makes sense it should be considered seriously. How would it be

> possible to make it happen? I guess that KEEP could be introduced

> within the roundtable meeting of the SIC, which you chair. Is there a

> budget from the GDC site for covering e.g. travel costs?

> After the kick-off meeting at Thursday/ Friday we will see clearer,

> what travel efforts we must expect during KEEP. Being also partly

> responsible for dissemination of KEEP, I can yield your suggestion in

> the discussion. The Pro seems to me that it is good in principle, to

> inform potential players so early as possible, to be able to include

> their suggestions in the project as early as possible. The Con might

> be, that it is just to early for us and it might make more sense to

> participate at GDC next year, when we know more and maybe have a more

> concrete approach to the industry.

> @ Dan: What do you think?

> Andreas

> Henry Lowood schrieb:

>> Dan,

>> do you think anyone from KEEP will be attending GDC this year?

>> Henry

>> Dan Pinchbeck wrote:

>>> Hi everyone,

>>> Andreas has already let you all know about the KEEP project - I'm

>>> part of the UK team working on the project, focusing on metadata

>>> standards and front-end.

>>> One of the things we've talked about is how to launch the project

>>> within the games research community and there may be a really good

>>> opportunity for both this, and highlighting preservation work,

>>> coming up this year. The DiGRA conference is being hosted by Brunel

>>> University in London in September, and the call for papers, panels,

>>> etc is currently up. I think it would be a really prescient idea to

>>> suggest a preservation panel for the conference. We'd look for 3 -4

>>> presentations within this, one of which would be KEEP and the state

>>> of emulation in relation to games. It would be great to also have

>>> another of these being directly about the work of the SIG and it's

>>> key members, leaving two papers open for whatever the SIG thinks is

>>> most appropriate. It would also be a great opportunity to get

>>> together those of us who can't make GDC and to look at how we can

>>> draw in the research community as a whole into this part of the field.

>>> To put it in context, there wasn't a panel like this at the 2007

>>> conference, and only a single paper dealing with preservation at all

>>> at the 2005 conference, so it's long overdue.

>>> Any thoughts would be very welcomed. I'm happy to put together a

>>> draft proposal and circulate it to the SIG to formalise things. The

>>> deadline for proposal is 6th March

>>> All the best,

>>> Dan

>>> www.thechineseroom.co.uk