[game_preservation] KEEP project and DiGRA2009

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Mon Feb 9 17:56:46 EST 2009

Andreas,

That's right. I was just going to invite make sure that if anyone is
attending, they know about the roundtable (and come to it!), as well as
the possibility of booking a room for a special get-together on any
topic. A propos, I will book at least one special meeting, because a
couple of discussion topics have come up. But I'm waiting for the
conference schedule to come out, so I can plan accordingly.

Henry

Andrew Armstrong wrote:

> Just to mention, GDC is very developer orientated. It's not academic

> in most respects, and as I've noted, a percentage nearing 0 is based

> on history and preservation (this year it'll likely only be our

> roundtable, give or take maybe an unannounced panel or presentation by

> some older figure in history like last year).

> There isn't such thing as covering travel costs from anyone I'm afraid

> :( You'll have to get a ticket and cover your own costs, sadly.

> Certainly there is no IGDA money (I'm funding my own travel, hotel,

> and costs over there :) ). Speakers get a pass to enter free, but no

> other costs considered.

> There's no absolute* need* to come - it would be nice, but it is short

> notice (the late sign up date is VERY soon!) and may be money wasted

> if you can't get much out of the event. I think Henry was more asking

> if anyone was already planning on going or was planning now the

> project was announced :)

> I'd love to see someone there representing it, but balance the money

> it'd cost if you haven't considered it yet.

> Andrew

> Andreas Lange wrote:

>> Dear Henry,

>> indeed this a good idea. The schedule is a little bit tight but if it

>> makes sense it should be considered seriously. How would it be

>> possible to make it happen? I guess that KEEP could be introduced

>> within the roundtable meeting of the SIC, which you chair. Is there a

>> budget from the GDC site for covering e.g. travel costs?

>> After the kick-off meeting at Thursday/ Friday we will see clearer,

>> what travel efforts we must expect during KEEP. Being also partly

>> responsible for dissemination of KEEP, I can yield your suggestion in

>> the discussion. The Pro seems to me that it is good in principle, to

>> inform potential players so early as possible, to be able to include

>> their suggestions in the project as early as possible. The Con might

>> be, that it is just to early for us and it might make more sense to

>> participate at GDC next year, when we know more and maybe have a more

>> concrete approach to the industry.

>> @ Dan: What do you think?

>> Andreas

>> Henry Lowood schrieb:

>>> Dan,

>>> do you think anyone from KEEP will be attending GDC this year?

>>> Henry