[game_preservation] DiGRA panel further information

Dan Pinchbeck Dan.Pinchbeck at port.ac.uk
Tue Feb 10 03:20:12 EST 2009

Has the white paper been published elsewhere? If not, that sounds like a
good idea. Editing it down shouldn't be too major a task - and I'm not
sure it needs major academic writing, that's not the point. I think the
focus should be more along the lines of "this is what is going on, this
is what needs to be done, this is how academics factor into the
picture". Published papers for the conference have a cap of 6000 words
for the final piece. I'm happy to help out with that if it makes the
cut, but just can't take that on alongside putting together the general
framework and the KEEP paper and the call for other papers...

Normal format would be about 20 minutes for presentation with 10 minutes
for questions. I'd assume a 90 minute or two hour total slot, depending
on the number of papers in total.

Dan

Dan Pinchbeck
Advanced Games Research Group
School of Creative Technologies
University of Portsmouth, UK

www.thechineseroom.co.uk

>>> Devin Monnens <evilcowclone at gmail.com> 10/02/09 12:59 AM >>>

Seconded. Why don't we submit the paper we're having published for GDC?

Of course, I think the panel is best. The IGDA paper can be part of the
panel discussion, but there are other important things we can talk about
too
like different game preservation groups.

-Devin

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Andrew Armstrong
<andrew at aarmstrong.org>wrote:

> First thing to note is the deadline, a very fast approaching Friday 6

March

> 5pm GMT!

> For paper one, well, it's difficult - while there are academics on

here,

> there are not, I'm led to believe, a lot (or a lot of active ones who

read

> this list at least). You might need to solicit views or a writer from

> outside the SIG when it comes down to it, just to be honest :) (I

can't

> write it myself, I'm not an academic and it'd take a fair bit of

research on

> my part to get ideas together for the paper since I don't work in a

> University, as such :) ).

> One other quick suggestion, since I'm not good on the paper writing

front

> (although I'll chip in after discussions have started here :) ) would,

in a

> pinch, the SIG's white paper on the importance of videogame

preservation be

> suitable to fill a slot? I'm sure we could get it edited by March.

> Looks good though, if I can help (and as a last resort I can help

write a

> paper or I can review some), please keep me in mind.

> Also, can you explain to someone who hasn't been what the format of

past

> events has been? I presume doing an hour-ish presentation on your

paper? or

> what? discussions? panels? I'm not too straight on that :) it'd be

nice to

> know before I go to it.

> Andrew

> Dan Pinchbeck wrote:

>> Hi all,

>> As promised, so more information on the DiGRA conference and the

>> proposed panel session.

>> This is from DiGRA's site (www.digra.org) regarding the call for

papers:

--

>> Friday 4th September 2009

>> The South of Britain Consortium are pleased to announce the Call for

>> Papers for the Digital Games Research Association 2009. DiGRA is an

>> organisation that embraces all aspects of game studies, and the

>> conference aims to provide a diverse platform for discussion, and a

>> lively forum for debate. We therefore welcome papers from any

discipline

>> focused on any aspect of games, play, game culture and the games

>> industry. The conference will be the fourth DiGRA conference,

following

>> Utrecht, Vancouver and Tokyo, and welcomes contributions from

scholars

>> working in any area of interest to the association.

>> :

>> DiGRA themselves are a body of academics and researchers ranging

right

>> across games as a field, with a tendency toward the theoretical, and

>> focus best described as humanities and social sciences, rather than

>> technical. The

last few conferences have been extremely interesting
and

terms

>> of games and culture, in which sub-field I'd position preservation

>> (please correct me if that's horribly out of line), it's basically

*the*

>> academic conference to be at.

>> :

>> In terms of the panel, this is what is required:

>> Panel proposals – 3 – 4 papers which address a common theme, a common

>> research method, a shared conceptual issue etc.

>> or

>> Workshops – proposals are invited for 2 – 3 hour workshops that

address

>> a range of themes relevant to the aims of the association. Workshops

>> that are particularly targeted at a wide audience are most welcome.

>> To submit, abstracts (500-700 words) of each paper are required (full

>> papers can also be submitted, but it's a little tight on time for

that).

>> The workshop is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure we have enough

>> time to fill it. What I'd suggest is therefore the following:

>> Game Preservation Panel Paper One: The state of play in game

preservation

>> and the role of the

>> academic community in this (Please excuse the corny pun, and note

this

>> really is a suggestion only.

>> I think this would be the opportunity for the SIG to plant it's flag

in

>> the ground and gather support and encourage debate amongst the

academic

>> community)

>> Paper Two: Migration, Emulation and the KEEP project

>> (in which we discuss the particular issues with game preservation,

the

>> methodologies adopted, and why KEEP is a significant project)

>> That leaves two papers to fill. We can do this in one of two ways:

>> 1. Come up with a prioritised paper: in other words, a topic the SIG

>> agrees must be covered in the panel and that someone agrees to write

and

>> present

>> 2. Place an open call on the SIG and through games network and

archiving

>> email lists to invite contributions. I prefer this option - it also

>> gives us a chance to see what academic work is being done out there

and

>> possibly draw new researchers to the SIG

>> The work to be done would therefore be:

>> a. Write the draft core proposal (I can do this)

>> b. Agree who is writing and presenting Paper One (I can't do this,

I'll

>> cover paper two with colleagues here, and I'm happy to offer to chair

>> the session)

>> c. Either agree on 1-2 papers and authors and write those abstracts!

>> d. Or draft a call (I can do this), release it (I can do this, but

>> others will need to spread the word too) and put together a small

>> editorial team to read any abstracts received and decide what will be

>> included (I can co-ordinate this, but will need 2-3 other names to

>> undertake the review process)

>> Think we can do this? Please let me know thoughts, etc.

>> Dan

>> PS - GDC: not sure it

>> 's going to happen this time around, but we will

>> probably disthat it would be a very good thing to have something

>> technical, rather

>> than just conceptual, on the table before attending... ;)

>> Dan Pinchbeck

>> Advanced Games Research Group

>> School of Creative Technologies

>> University of Portsmouth, UK