[game_preservation] Preservation Media?

Rachel "Sheepy" Donahue donahrm at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 10:38:42 EST 2009

The difference between gold DVDs and DVDs which use other reflective
layers (aluminum, silver, what have you) is that the less expensive
materials are more prone to oxidation and decay over time, whereas gold
doesn't rust. So yes, gold is more expensive.. but it's also shinier and
will last longer in the long run, even if the protective layer is
compromised. So they might be a bad buy in the short term.. but probably a
good buy in the longer term, because they (might) require less frequent
refreshing to keep your data safe.