[game_preservation] So...what can the IGDA do here?

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Fri Feb 19 18:54:16 EST 2010

Just a broad question here; what can the IGDA do here? I mean, in
preservation terms of course.

Reading through the board candidates (go vote!), of course none of them
mention this SIG (it's small, and most of the members are likely not
going to run for the board!). I just wondered however, off from that,
apart from the information aspect - ie; collecting information about the
actual entities/people preserving things and some minor project work,
what can the SIG do? What could we bring up as an issue the Board could
help with perhaps?

Perhaps better; what can the SIG do that this mailing list independently
run couldn't do? (or is the virtue of having this list already enough of
a reason for the SIG to exist?). I offered to help this SIG on the 18th
of July 2007... that long ago already? :) and I've got tons of ideas for
information but not much for anything else that'd work between the
members here, I'd love to get to 3 years knowing some of it was
worthwhile, and that there is more /useful /things to do.

So, any answers or ideas? I am sure GDC will bring a lot more up, but
not everyone can get to that, me included this year!

To answer first; for me, it'd be a bit of developer outreach between
preservation/historian efforts and developers (although I need things to
outreach for, if anyone specifically wants me to advertise that they'll
do an inventory for someone, or do interviews, just say! although a lot
of this is better handled directly I guess), the white paper, and future
white papers, the Memorials project, the Digital Game Canon (which needs
a reboot/continuation) and the interactions here on the mailing list.
It's more then enough to justify the SIG, as it were, just I am sure
everyone else has different ideas of what is useful, and perhaps what
needs concentrating on - criticisms welcome too, not that there is much
to criticise action-wise right now :)

(reminds me, I will get the newsletter thing done this weekend).

Andrew