[game_preservation] So...what can the IGDA do here?

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 19:00:58 EST 2010

I got some feedback from my survey (which now I need to type up into
something presentable to hand out at the GDC). Some people simply weren't
interested in the SIG because there wasn't enough solid information to help
them out. The list of preservation groups I think is a good step towards
this, but I feel that if we could construct a newsletter (I suggest
quarterly at least) that contains peer-reviewed essays and articles on
things that individuals and small groups can do to preserve their own data
or anything else related, I think this would be a good start. For example,
one comment was that we don't talk about physical collections (which isn't
entirely true now thanks to Martin Goldberg's recent post). I think we've
talked about these things a little before, but haven't really created any
articles with information people can use. If we want to promote
preservation, we need to have some quick articles that are going to help
individuals set this up.

BTW, I'm going to GDC. Anyone else going?

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 4:54 PM, Andrew Armstrong <andrew at aarmstrong.org>wrote:

> Just a broad question here; what can the IGDA do here? I mean, in

> preservation terms of course.

> Reading through the board candidates (go vote!), of course none of them

> mention this SIG (it's small, and most of the members are likely not going

> to run for the board!). I just wondered however, off from that, apart from

> the information aspect - ie; collecting information about the actual

> entities/people preserving things and some minor project work, what can the

> SIG do? What could we bring up as an issue the Board could help with

> perhaps?

> Perhaps better; what can the SIG do that this mailing list independently

> run couldn't do? (or is the virtue of having this list already enough of a

> reason for the SIG to exist?). I offered to help this SIG on the 18th of

> July 2007... that long ago already? :) and I've got tons of ideas for

> information but not much for anything else that'd work between the members

> here, I'd love to get to 3 years knowing some of it was worthwhile, and that

> there is more *useful *things to do.

> So, any answers or ideas? I am sure GDC will bring a lot more up, but not

> everyone can get to that, me included this year!

> To answer first; for me, it'd be a bit of developer outreach between

> preservation/historian efforts and developers (although I need things to

> outreach for, if anyone specifically wants me to advertise that they'll do

> an inventory for someone, or do interviews, just say! although a lot of this

> is better handled directly I guess), the white paper, and future white

> papers, the Memorials project, the Digital Game Canon (which needs a

> reboot/continuation) and the interactions here on the mailing list. It's

> more then enough to justify the SIG, as it were, just I am sure everyone

> else has different ideas of what is useful, and perhaps what needs

> concentrating on - criticisms welcome too, not that there is much to

> criticise action-wise right now :)

> (reminds me, I will get the newsletter thing done this weekend).

> Andrew

Devin Monnens
www.deserthat.com

The sleep of Reason produces monsters.