[game_preservation] GDC

Devin Monnens dmonnens at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 09:29:13 EST 2010

The roundtable is the first session on Thursday. the second session is the
Yoshio Sakamoto panel, which I know will be packed, so I won't be able to
stay and chat.

Later on, there is a panel with guys from the Smithsonian talking about how
they are integrating games into museum exploration. However, there's another
panel that I think I'd want to attend more than that, so I'll have to miss
that one!

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 11:58 PM, Henry Lowood <lowood at stanford.edu> wrote:

> I'll be there, too. Whoever is there, please come to the Roundtable.

> Henry

> Rachel Donahue wrote:

> I'll be there, also with a main conference pass. :)

> On Feb 26, 2010 8:05 PM, "Devin Monnens" <dmonnens at gmail.com> wrote:

> Who all is going to the GDC?

> I have a Main Conference pass (but might be getting a full or press

> pass).

> I can present my data from the survey there as well as the PDF/.doc of

> the list of game preservation groups.

> I'm afraid I haven't given coverage of the PCA/ACA paper I gave - which

> basically summarized the contents of the survey. Akinori Nakamura from

> Ritsumeikan also presented his paper on the game preservation efforts they

> are doing in Japan. Ritsumeikan is working closely with Nintendo, and

> graduates from the program have gone to work on the Virtual Console. They

> have the only officially sanctioned emulator by Nintendo and have had access

> to Nintendo's complete collection of games to work on their catalogue

> system. In addition, Mr. Nakamura's graduates are working with Masayuki

> Uemura (the designer of the Famicom and Super Famicom) to record gameplay.

> They record player expressions, gameplay video, button mapping, and the

> intensity at which buttons are pressed for four-channel video. This was a

> very amazing demonstration because it provides great promise for researching

> how players play games (Super Mario Bros. was the example). Mr. Nakamura

> will be finishing his draft and seems very interested in distributing it

> through the SIG.

> -Devin

> --

> Devin Monnens

> www.deserthat.com

> --

> Henry Lowood

> Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;

> Film & Media Collections

> HRG, Green Library

> 557 Escondido Mall, Stanford University Libraries

> Stanford CA 94305-6004 USAhttp://www.stanford.edu/~lowoodlowood@stanford.edu; 650-723-4602

Devin Monnens
www.deserthat.com

The sleep of Reason produces monsters.