[LEAPSECS] Derecho vs Leap Second

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Wed Jul 18 13:08:30 EDT 2012

On Wed 2012-07-18T12:47:11 -0400, Finkleman, Dave hath writ:

> What is the issue with two parallel time

> systems in LINUX? More to the point, would anything but leap second

> insertion have provoked the issues experienced?

I am not a linux kernel hacker, merely someone who has ported one
linux device driver from the days when the Big Kernel Lock (BKL)
existed to the modern age when there is no longer a BKL.
If I am not mistaken one of the parts of the linux kernel affected by
the leap second involves the high-resolution timer (hrtimer) code, and
that is newer than the 2008 leap second.

If I read the following thread correctly there were other flaws in the
hrtimer code which were revealed by invoking suspend/resume.
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!topic/linux.kernel/5xe7tUBBqtU

A better answer would come from a linux kernel hacker.

--
Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855