[LEAPSECS] Predictable Horizon and Uncertainty

Finkleman, Dave dfinkleman at agi.com
Wed Jul 18 14:22:57 EDT 2012

The horizon of predictability reappears frequently in these discussions.
That it is arguable leads me to suggest that some authoritative source
distribute through IERS a reputable estimate and its uncertainty.
Statistics of past events (admittedly a small sample) appear to be 3.5
years with an uncertainty somewhere between six months and a year. This
would at least allow a window within which one should prepare and
exercise.

I am sure that I am repeating something that was discussed before I
became a subscriber.

Dave Finkleman
Senior Scientist
Center for Space Standards and Innovation
Analytical Graphics, Inc.
7150 Campus Drive
Colorado Springs, CO 80920

Phone: 719-510-8282 or 719-321-4780
Fax: 719-573-9079

Discover CSSI data downloads, technical webinars, publications, and
outreach events at www.CenterForSpace.com.