Markdown-discuss Digest, Vol 5, Issue 11

John Gruber gruber at fedora.net
Thu Mar 25 01:24:13 EST 2004

Jacob Patton <shotwise at yahoo.com> wrote on 03/19/04 at 12:50p:

> I've finally had a chance to implement the code you
> suggested.  Barring one small change, it works like a
> charm--thank you for a great set of scripts!  (And to
> think I had forgotten about SmartyPants!)
>
> The change I had to make required adding "perl" before
> the command to be executed.
>
> For example:
> return shell_exec("echo $input | $markdown_script");
> becomes
> return shell_exec("echo $input | perl
> $markdown_script");

Somehow I forgot to respond to this one last week.

I neglected to mention that I have the executable bits set on
Markdown.pl and SmartyPants.pl, which is the reason I can execute
them without specifically invoking perl the way you do above.

Yet another way to do it would be to put the perl command in your
config settings, and specify `$markdown_script` and
`$smartypants_script` like so:

    <?php

    $markdown_script    = "perl /path/to/Markdown.pl";
    $smartypants_script = "perl "/path/to/SmartyPants.pl";

    ?>