Ordered list syntax.

Lou Quillio public at quillio.com
Fri Mar 26 21:04:37 EST 2004

On Mar 26, 2004, at 8:35 PM, Daniel Axelrod wrote, in part:

>> Also, you might have an ordered list that pauses and resumes within a
>> series of non-list paragraphs.  It'd be a list in human semantics,
>> but the MD syntax (and transformed XHTML markup) would have to handle
>> it as a series of single-item lists.
> Actually, how would this work in HTML? Would you need to use CSS to
> make the numbers come out correctly? And are there any cases this
> would happen in which the non-list paragraphs couldn't actually be
> part of the list items?

Okay, this is a stretch on my part.  You could longhand the enumeration
in such case; it'd be kinda obsessive to insist that list items
interspersed in a larger text block be marked-up as <ol><li>s.  My
interest is in deploying MD in content management systems for
unsophisticated users.  Since God knows what they'll do, the thing
would need to be a little more bulletproof than MD's core objectives
require.

Then again, XHTML/CSS2 makes provision for starting, pausing, and
resuming numbered lists, and other customizations.  More folks than me
see a need for it, evidently.

On CSS:
http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/markdown-discuss/2004-March/
000206.html

Again, unless I'm mistaken, XHTML (vs. HTML4) validation demands that
any list customization be done with CSS.  Which sucks, because MD
otherwise confines itself to XHTML markup.  If MD must write inline
style attributes to get this done, is that gonna fight with linked or
style-block declarations in a templated environment?  Might, especially
if the author isn't also the template author.

But, hey, it ain't my baby.  Seems to me, though, that list-tweaking is
a particular challenge for MD.  I'm sure its Dad will make the right
call.

LQ

Lou Quillio
P.O. Box 24