Ordered list syntax.

Lou Quillio public at quillio.com
Sun Mar 28 13:19:57 EST 2004

On Mar 28, 2004, at 12:38 PM, John Gruber wrote:

> 2.  (X)HTML Transitional
>
> where the *only* Transitional elements I'm even considering are the
> `start` and `type` tag attributes.

Yeah, they're really the only ones.  It's such a shame that this issue
exists at all.

Fwiw, I just now tested 'start' and 'type' with a Strict doctype under
IE6/Win, IE5.2/Mac and Firefox0.8/Win&Mac, and they all rendered the
list customizations as expected.  Gecko surprised me.  Evidently, not
all quirks are quirks.

I wonder if you can't forge ahead with them.  Sure would be easier.  Is
there a major user-agent out there that refuses those attributes even
when you've told it to?  If there isn't -- and if good-quality intel
suggests none are planning to -- it might be worth issuing a caveat and
taking a wait-and-see flier in this one case.

The only downside appears to be that the W3C validator throws a shoe,
since the Strict DTD doesn't know those attributes. Anybody who cares
critically about that still has the options of declaring Transitional,
not using the MD syntax that generates those attributes, marking things
up longhand ... or writing their own DTD :)

LQ

Lou Quillio
P.O. Box 24
Saratoga Springs, NY, USA 12866