Markdown and Whisper (was [ANN] PHP Markdown 1.0b5)

Brett Bonfield aboycalled3 at myrealbox.com
Wed May 19 22:56:09 EDT 2004

Michel Fortin wrote:

> I just took a look at Whisper. The support for Textile is totally hard
> coded into Whisper. Making a class for Markdown won't change anything.
> However it's very easy to use it with Markdown with a little addition.
> First, rename your markdown.php file to classTextile.php. Then add this
> code at the start of the renamed markdown file:
>
>     class Textile {
>         function TextileThis($text, $lite='', $encode='', $noimage='',
> $strict='') {
>             return Markdown($text);
>         }
>     }
>
> Put it in the Whisper plugin directory instead of Textile and voilà!
>

> Michel Fortin
> michel.fortin at michelf.com
> http://www.michelf.com/

I suspected it might not be terribly difficult for you, but I never
thought it would be this simple to enable Markdown in Whisper. Two
unfortunate aspects of the Markdown/Whisper combination, neither of
which really have anything to do with PHP Markdown or John's original code:

1. As you noted, Textile is hard coded into Whisper. That's very likely
to change.

2. Adam's Whisper syntax and John's Markdown syntax seem to have some
compatibility issues. For instance:

To start working on your site, <a href="[script_file_name]?panel">log
into</a> the control panel.

That part about the [script_file_name] means very different things to
Whisper and Markdown.

Thank you, Michel, for your response and for translating the amazing
Markdown into PHP!

Brett