Tables

Dr. Drang drdrang at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 11:53:29 EST 2005

A good night's sleep later, my thoughts are:

I definitely need decimal alignment and can see myself needing colon
alignment (which sounds painful). Other characters, not so much. So if
John decides to restrict the canonical Markdown to left, right, and
center alignment, my personal fork will probably add only decimal and
colon.

While I appreciate the explicitness of ----> and <---->, I can see why
people find it visually jarring. The < and > are big and they don't
blend in with the - or the |. How about -----~ and ~-----~ ?

That current browsers don't character alignment is, oddly enough, not
such a big deal for me. I suspect they will eventually, and in the
meantime I have---through MultiMarkdown---LaTeX to do the formatting
right.

I'm very tempted by Mark Smith's suggestion that any column with
decimal points should be decimal aligned, but I'm not sure how that
would be programmed. I think you'd have to go through the table once
to make sure that the column is all numbers, then go back through it
again to put in the appropriate tags.

--
Dr. Drang