Adding additional output formats for Markdown?

Mark Smith mark at bbprojects.net
Mon Jul 25 03:44:07 EDT 2005

@ 06:06 on 25.7.05, Dave Pawson wrote:

>In terms of transformation, I'm sure it would be possible to convert

>directly, and programmatically, from markdown to a number of formats.

No doubt.

>XSLT is a standard way of transforming the richer set of markup (XML)

>into text or other markup formats. I'm looking to use that as a means

>of getting from a simpler XML markup to whichever output formats I

>need.

Yes. I'm thinking along similar lines, albeit with a limited skillset
for tackling the job. The way I see it, which may not be (exclusively)
correct, there are two general sets of output (for my needs):

- those that can be readily generated from well-formed XML

- others

(So I'm thinking that Markdown->HTML->XML or Markdown->XML or "something
else"->XML will solve most of *my* problems, or nearly all of them if I
drop LaTeX and fully adopt ConTeXt instead.)

None of which means that there shouldn't/won't be lots of filters for
Markdown input, just that I think a fair number of the usual suspect
outputs can be handled with one or two filters to get to XML and
subsequent XSLT / FO transforms. No ? Is this not along the lines of
what you are doing Dave ?

mark.