Problems with incorporating markdown into a project

Ryan Booker ryanbooker at gmail.com
Mon May 9 00:38:00 EDT 2005

On 5/9/05, John Gruber <gruber at fedora.net> wrote:
> If I were designing my own CMS, I would definitely store each post
> twice in the database -- raw Markdown for editing, and an XHTML
> version that would more or less be used as a cache. In fact, maybe
> instead of storing the XHTML transformed version in the database,
> I'd store it in the file system and just `readfile()` it or
> something with PHP.

Isn't that a little bit wasteful though?

> > With all this transforming and de-transforming, something's bound to
> > go wrong.  I just don't see the advantage.  If there were one, it'd
> > be performance, and that seems easier to address by storing two
> > representations.
>
> I think html2text is excellent, but I'd never use it as part of a
> round trip for CMS editing. You lose all your custom Markdown link
> labels, for example. That's just the nature of the beast, not a
> complaint.

Yes I've noticed that. The other "problem" is that because your re
encoding/decoding everything the raw structure of the post doesn't
stay the way you typed it, it's reformatted per whatever rules
html2text has.  Still, it's early days in my development yet, so I may
change my pipeline.  It's pretty much a learn as you go experience for
me.