Problems with incorporating markdown into a project

John Gruber gruber at fedora.net
Mon May 9 00:54:33 EDT 2005

Ryan Booker <ryanbooker at gmail.com> wrote on 05/09/05 at 2:38 pm:

> On 5/9/05, John Gruber <gruber at fedora.net> wrote:
> > If I were designing my own CMS, I would definitely store each post
> > twice in the database -- raw Markdown for editing, and an XHTML
> > version that would more or less be used as a cache. [...]
>
> Isn't that a little bit wasteful though?

If you do it my way, converting once and storing both the raw
Markdown input and XHTML output, you waste disk space.

If you do it the other way, storing only the raw Markdown and
converting to XHTML on every page view, then you waste CPU
and RAM resources.

Either way you're wasting something. Disk space is cheap, and it's
getting cheaper faster than CPUs or RAM are. Plus, doing it my way
means you can serve pages faster.