MultiMarkdown now supports tables

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Thu Nov 10 07:10:22 EST 2005

Fletcher T. Penney wrote:

> Learn more about it here:

> http://fletcher.freeshell.org/wiki/MultiMarkdown

Nice.

As you said, I can see there are still some bugs. There is one thing
I spotted in your documentation when you speak about alignement. You
write:

> To set alignment, you can use a colon to designate left or right

> alignment, or a colon at each end to designate center alignment, as

> above. **If no colon is present, default is left alignment.**

(emphasis mine)

Which is partially wrong. If no colon is present (or more generally,
if you're omitting the `align` attribute), *default text
directionality* is used. For English, and other western languages,
this means left-aligned, but for Arabic or Hebrew it will be right-
aligned. Just add a `dir="rtl"` in the body of your page or directly
on the table and you will see.

(Much more changes than text alignement when you add `dir="rtl"`:
tables cells are actually displayed in reverse horizontal order too,
right-to-left instead of left-to-right.)

Which makes me think that my syntax for cell alignement in a table is
inverted when writing from right to left. If I write something that
looks like this on a page with `dir="rtl"`:

:---- | ----: | ----

It is in reality the same thing as this, in our usual left to right
system:

---- | :---- | ----:

Which is what PHP Markdown Extra sees. In both cases the first cell
is default-aligned, the second is left-aligned and the third is right-
aligned. But in the right to left version (count the columns from the
right), colons are displayed at the oposite end of how columns will
be aligned.

Not that I worry about any of this, but it is an interesting thing to
know. Also interesting to know is that Markdown *seems* to work well
in those languages. Tested text I copy-pasted from other websites --
I can't read or write Hebrew or Arabic -- and a custom right to left
dingus page.

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/