Data loss issue: Adjacent List Types

Alan Hogan contact at alanhogan.com
Mon Jun 13 22:30:29 EDT 2011

On Monday, June 13, 2011 at 2:10 PM, David Parsons wrote:

> On Jun 13, 2011, at 1:02 PM, Alan Hogan wrote:

> > If you don't mind me reviving this issue, I just thought of another

> > use case in which this bug, in its augmented definition that

> > includes different list type markers, could rear its head.

> > Consider this source document:

> > ~~~~~~~~

> > Pros and Cons:

> > + Tasty

> > + Can sell wings and hooves as well as meat

> > + Only I know where to find them (obscene profits!)

> > - Endangered

> > - Hard to market as most people will believe to be a hoax

> That's a good example, but it would also require carrying

> over the item marker which is another thing that's not

> supported yet (though I would say that it would fall into

> the "to-be-supported-later" bucket that paying attention

> to list markers for enumerated lists is already in.)

> And now that I think about it, one problem with a feature

> that requires class awareness is what happens with a syndication

> feed that strips away the class arguments and simply spits out

> vanilla html? That would be a pretty radical change in meaning

> from a wire article that's got what looks like one big list with

> a paragraph break in the middle to the fully cssed webpage that's

> got the plusses and minuses neatly laid out. As markdown sits

> right now, stripping away the css just results in a more vanilla

> presentation.

> -david parsons

You raise a good point, but I don’t think that’s reason to prevent such a feature.

Some points:

1. In at least my browser, consecutive ULs actually have a blank line between them.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/105727/web/consecutive-uls.html

(Screenshot of rendering in my browser: http://cl.ly/2X3Q1x3x172n060M3m2L)

2. Savvy authors writing for RSS-enabled feeds should know not to rely on CSS styles in any fashion, including the speculative kind I suggested.